[Ansteorra] Word for Today: Crack (shameless event plug)

David Backlin edrei at smythkepe.org
Mon Mar 6 09:10:33 PST 2006

According to the dictionary, the work crack has many meanings.  One meaning is to break or snap apart, or to cause a voice to crack.

However, it is also an Irish word for fun or amusement. So in that vein, the Shire of Smythkepe is pleased to announce our annual "fun" event  Cracked Anvil IX on April 8  AS XL. As in years past we will offer a diversity of classes, plus a Swiss Five Tourney for Heavy fighters and the Wheel of Death for Light Fighters. We will also feature Arts & Science competitions,  a Brewing Competition and an Herbal Competition. This year, we are adding something new: the Smythkepe Triathlon, a variation of the traditional "Loot Tourney".

A team of 3 members from various SCA diciplines (Archery/ Thrown Weapons Arts & Sciences Heavy weapons Rapier) shall enter the various competitons (A&S, Brewing, Combat, etc) at the event. Each team receives one point for each member entering, another point for winning. The team with the most points at the end, receives the loot.

And let's not forget the feast, featuring such delacasies as Beef Meatballs w\ Cheese Sauce, sausage & cheese stuffed french bread,  seasoned herb balls and bacon roasted chicken.

This year's site is the Franklin County Fairgrounds in Ozark, AR . From Interstate 40, take Exit 35 (Arkansas Highway 23) and go south 2 miles to US Highway 64. Go west 1 mile on US 64 to North 29th Street. Turn right (north) on 29th Street and follow the SCA signs to the site. Site opens 7am April 8th and closes 10pm. Limited overnight "community" Crash Space is available on-site Saturday evening for those who may need it.

I know what you're asking: "how much?"

Adults with Feast $12.00. Children 5 and over with Feast $8.00

Off-board (and miss feast?) Deduct $1.00

( Wait a minute! Only $1 for feast? How did we do that? Only our Feast Steward knows for sure and he's not talking ;) )

Pre-Reserve by March 22nd and pay only $10.00 for Adults and $6.00 for Children.

Non-member please add $3.00

Feast is limited to 100 people, so reserve you space now! Operators are standing by (not really).

For more information, watch this space OR see our website: http://www.smythkepe.org/cracked.htm

Come join us for will prove to be an XL-ent event ;)