[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Chris Backus cebackus at hotmail.com
Sun May 21 20:37:18 PDT 2006

It's the difference between doing something because you love it or for other
reasons that are seen as noble, or for doing it to the intense level often
needed to win the recognition for it, but then, because you've got the
recognition and continued efforts are less obviously rewarded, doing less of
what you were recognized for.

The merit badge thing is that you're rewarded for each step, keeping those
who are motivated by obvious public recognition and status doing more
aspects just to receive the awards.  You rack up awards like merit badges on
a sash (especially since we can wear ours too), not because you're just
interested in everything, but because you need that feedback.

Also, awards substitute for knowledge of someone.  So ultimately, someone
could be a better historical martial artist than I am, but because I wear a
WS, I'll get attention from students that he just won't get until they
really know him and many people never go past that.  You might even say that
since we both have 24 hours in a day, that if he took the time I took
pursuing other things necessary to be recognized while he concentrated on
perfecting his art, that he's *likely* to be a better martial artist than I
am, but won't be recognized because he's one dimensional.  People don't
generally use their time ideally, but for those who really are maximizing
their effort, this would be a pitfall of our system.  It's too easy to read
the shorthand and not take the time to learn who is really about what.

It's a tough line to walk, because I know I'm drawn to recognition, but I'm
also drawn to doing the job embodied by some awards.

I have a WSA, but I hope to always work towards being a Don.

Hawkins

P.S.  I like chocolate chips  ; )