[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges -love of it...

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 16:12:04 PDT 2006

JP,

Because if someone learns a skill just to achieve recognition it shows that they did not value the skill and used it as a tool. It is percieved that they will use any means to an end that achieves them more rank/stuff to show off/brag about thus more perceived power. Those people use the organization for their gain...and do not have the emotional commitment to it to help maintain it or to share with the community to improve it.

The one's using the community do little in repleantishing the resources of time and energy...etc that those that Maintain the community give...in time, energy and funds...which depleats the resources...often those that use the community tend to be the ones who cause problems because they don't care about the community enough to pay attention to rules and regulations and evolve with the changes...they are just using it...and can find another tool to boost their ego...somewhere else...but usually not before wearing down the people who do care. This causes burnout...

LDeerSlayer

Jean Paul de Sens <jeanpauldesens at gmail.com> wrote: On 5/23/06, Elisabeth B. Zakes <kitharis at gmail.com> wrote: On 5/23/06, Jean Paul de Sens <jeanpauldesens at gmail.com> wrote:
>  What is intended to be taught?
>
> JP

Well, it depends on the organisation, but in the SCA, I think the
intent is to reward excellence (to different levels, depending on the
award) in service, combat, and A&S, and for doing it for the love of
it or for the betterment of the SCA, not just to receive the award
 itself. What this is intended to teach is that working towards
betterment of the SCA is better than doing something merely to collect
the badge and move on to the next one. My opinion.

AM

 The followup question then,

why do we value a learned skill more when someone does it "for the love of it"?

JP