[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges - Merchants

Cam Battaglia momma_cammie at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 20:48:32 PDT 2006

Tivar Moondragon wrote:

 <snip>
I suppose that part of the negative perception is because on the one hand,
merchants are doing it for money, rather than for "love of the art", and on
the other hand, merchants are perceived as having some sort of an advantage
because they're (presumably) doing it full-time rather than as a hobby.

Another difficulty is that if someone is a merchant, they may not be as
visible as an artisan who just does it "for fun". A merchant has to spend
most of his time in his booth, rather than, for example, entering or judging
A&S competitions and if Merchants' Row isn't visited by those who make the
decisions about such awards--i.e. the Crown or Laurels--they may not be
aware of this person's skill.

<snip>

What most fail to understand is that many of the Merchants in Ansteorra
indeed do this "for the love of the art" as well as to make money.  The
armorer has to love the art of the craft to produce some of the beautiful
pieces that I have seen placed for sale in several booths.  As do the
jewelers, tailors, leather workers, and such.  I do not know of many
Merchants in Ansteorra that do not hold full time jobs outside of the SCA to
assist in funding their Merchant booths.  To simply state that "merchants
are perceived as having some sort of advantage because they're (presumably)
doing it full time rather than as a hobby" is casting too broad of a net.

Maybe we should set up the A&S booth in the middle of Merchants Row to allow
the Merchant's work to be seen and judged as well.  Perhaps give the
Merchant that wants to enter a banner or such to display so the populace
will know that their work is to be considered (as well as the Laurels and
the Crown).  Perhaps we should encourage our Crowns and our Laurels to visit
the Merchants.  To take the time to stop and ask them about their respective
crafts.

But on the other hand, as Laurels they should already be aware that is part
of their responsibility to their fellow SCAdians ... to go seek out those
that participate in the various crafts (whether it is on Merchants Row or
simply by the List) and encourage them in their endeavors.  Ask questions of
them to judge their knowledge, perhaps watch them as they work on some
project they are trying to finish, maybe offer a suggestion or two if they
are adept in the same craft.  Many are the times we have had Laurels in our
own booth, but few are the times we have been asked questions regarding our
methods or designs.  The Laurels are "the bar" that we are all aspiring to
... so why not keep all of the Populace in mind and spread the wealth of
knowledge that is out there to others (including those of us who are tied to
our booths)?  How many Laurels take the time to stop and consider what
wonders they might see on Merchants Row?  How many Laurels take the time to
think that they might learn something by asking a Merchant about a craft
they are unfamiliar with?

YIS,
Ly Katrina Alyse Argo