No subject

Sat May 27 11:55:56 PDT 2006

jewelry-msg       (80K)  9/28/00    Medieval jewelry. Jewelry sources.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/jewelry-msg.html
---------------
Newsgroups: rec.org.sca
Subject: "Authenticity" done on the cheap
From: una at bregeuf.stonemarche.org (Honour Horne-Jaruk)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 94 03:35:44 EST

zkessin at ppp3253.wing.net (Zach) writes:
>    "I'm talking about stuff like Austrian lead crystal, which is not
>    period, but who has the money to go out and spend $100 a piece on
>    real jewels for court dress? Not me!" ----Isabelle de Foix
>
>    I don't know about Austrian lead crystal, but fake gemstones are not
>    only period, but common--all the way back to egyptian times.
> Wouldn't glass beads have been very expensive in period too?
>
> Guiliam

	"Ahem" she says modestly, trying to be informative while not sounding
like an advertisement....
	Maison Rive, which I run, and Cabochons, which (Thank God) I don't
run, both sell researched, documented glass copies of medieval/renaissance
glass `jewels', some of which come fromn the same factories in Venice that
made the original fakes a thousand years (or so) ago...
	There are authentic fakes out there. Try Pennsic, Birka, and possibly
the 30yr celebration.
				Honour/Una/Alizaunde
---------

This file does have a number of referances on gemstones and
medieval gemstones. Perhaps one of those referances will
provide you more specific info.

For more info on the carving of gemstones in period, and a
very funny article, see this file:
Rock-Crystal-art  (12K) 10/19/00    "Carving Rock Crystal According to
   Theophilius" by Lord Valdis of Gotland (humor)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Rock-Crystal-art.html

So, does this count?

Stefan