[Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Officers - I

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 22:02:31 PDT 2006

No problem...find me at Steppes so we may be re-acquainted...

Suggestions -

a. Don't just advertize in the newsletter,
speak up at meetings and other activities.
b. Like Ld Faelon suggested...advertize on your local e-list
and even on the Northern Regional list.
c. Specifically ask people to do short presentations on their specialties...
don't wait for them to come to you.
d. Get a list of the newcomers and either phone or e-mail them
as a reminder - people are very busy and until they get "hooked"
it's hard for them to remember to make time for SCA activities.
(I wouldn't do it more than 6 months though...if they aren't self
activated by 6 months...it could be years...if at all.)

I've seen more people get tagged as ... ignoring authority/glory hounds
just because in their enthusiasm they forget to go through channels...
and no one politely reminds them...
and then they don't realize they even did it...
and then their negative reputation grows because no one is willing to
talk to them and would rather talk about them...
until the damage has been done...

That's how you get factions...and all of the problems

I'm all about nipping problems in the bud.

One word in the beginning...and a little bit of guidance can make all the difference.

Then again...I've had it backfire a time or two also...
I've got people who hate me...and think I'm daemon-get
because I tried to guide them and make things easier
for them to enculturate...

Some people take even gentle guidance as criticism and attacks...SIGH!

Good Luck!

L DeerSlayer

PS don't forget to take cards/fliers to hand out...and a notebook to write down
the newcomer's info with...

Isobel de Kirkbryde <kirkbryde at yahoo.com> wrote: Thank you for the advice and the reminder to remain UNDER  my superior.

  I do need to work at advertising the Newcomer's Meetings better.   Although, I did put an article in the local newsletter.  The next  major event for our area is this weekend.  I'm going to do my best  to be sweet, mix and mingle  and see what spice I can add to this  game.

Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde
Deputy Hospitaler, Barony of Namron
Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis