[Ansteorra] Little Ones at Events (how I do it)

elizabeth at crouchet.com elizabeth at crouchet.com
Sun May 7 08:46:48 PDT 2006

I used to be one of those non-parents that thought a leash on a child was a horror. Put a leash on a child like it was a dog?
Isn't that abuse? Are the parents too lazy or incompetent to kep up with their own kids?

THEN one day I was in the mall, I saw a man with a toddler. Obviously he was on kid watch while mom was shopping for
something. He was tall and holding the hand of his little girl. He was bent over sideways and she was on her tippy toes nearly
hung by her little hand. And THEN I though, oh, a leash would make them both more comfortable. And HEY, the kid could have
a little more wiggle room and still be kept from running off. Security for both.

Shortly after that I saw this same toddler dart out of a store, look both ways and dash into another store. Dad followed close on
her heels but when he darted out of the store and looked both ways with a panicked look on is face, the child was nowhere to
be seen. Fortuanetly everyone in the area recognized the look and several people just pointed at the store she shot into. He
nodded and followed with a relieved look.

Later I found a copy of Ruben's portrait of himself and his second wife with their toddler walking in a garden. The child had a
large and long sash tied on just below the armpits. the other end of the sash was in his mother's hand. Hey, a kid leash!
Actually in this one she has him on a real leash connected to a baldric style sash. (1639)
http://www.wga.hu/art/r/rubens/42portra/11family.jpg

I can now appreciate the usefulness of a kid leash. Obviosuly anyone can abuse their kids or any tools. But the leash is a just
another tool that can be used as wisely as many others. And if it has a harness it can even be an emergency handle. I've seen
kid overalls used for the same.

Claire

snip