[Ansteorra] Pas d'armes in June

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Thu May 4 15:20:42 PDT 2006

Greetings all,

Just wanted to clarify some things about the Lysts at Castleton event
June 9-11.

I was told some folks were under the impression this was an equestrian
only event.  While the event will be the first in the SCA to incorporate
both the mounted combat and jousting, there will most definitely be more
chivalric fighting than you can shake a stick at.  As anyone who has
been to a Loch event can tell you, we bop 'till you drop.  The event
will feature three 'fields' and you can take part in any or all three.
Think of  'A knight's Tale' when our hero decides which fields he
intends to compete on.  For the event, the first field will be mounted
combat, the second, chivalric foot combat and the last will have
jousting.  We are still finalizing details, but expect at least 3 to 4
hours of continous fighting including, open, barrier, small team and
grand melee.  Lest you think this is for fighters alone, we will have a
gallery where all are invited to enjoy the shade to watch the show.  It
is rumored that musicians will vie with the heralds to seek your
attention as to who you should favor for the day.

One warning, this will not be your regular cookie cutter event, with
everyone showing up and scattering to the winds.  Instead, everyone will
be invited to join the gallery to join their King and Queen as they
witness the spectacle.  For those not intending to take the field, you
will see Ansteorra's finest on display and should be prepared to show
them you approval (or disapproval ;-) ) as they compete before you.  For
those who are not familiar with a pas format, the gallery is as much a
part of the show as the warriors on the field.  On sunday, the kingdom's
finest equestrians will vie for the title of King's Lancer.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will explain as
best I can.  Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing everyone in June.

With regards,
Sir Alexis
Event steward

p.s. If you are herald and are looking for a new patron, please drop me
a note.
p.p.s. If you want to have a special role, please let me know and I'll
see about working it in
p.p.p.s. It also rumored that all nobles attending will be invited to a
light repast, after all rank does have it's privileges ;-)