[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon May 22 05:24:35 PDT 2006

At 07:04 AM 5/22/2006, you wrote:

>What I find offensive are people who finally obtain their award and
>immediately abandon their field. Not a problem with someone who gets
>a thistle and goes on to a new art, but it is a problem for instance,
>if a person drops rapier within weeks of getting a white scarf. (No,
>I'm not speaking about a particular person.)
>
>Iago

>We must also consider that some people, once they receive an award, are so
>tired they have to take a break or "retire from the field" for a
>while.  We should be careful of requiring so much from someone that our
>best people retire from sheer exhaustion.
>
>Niccola Setearo

I think there's a difference between your example and Iago's. I don't have
a problem with someone who "backs off" for a while because they need a
break; I *do* have a problem with someone who--as Iago said--drops an
activity completely once they get the award. There's a difference between
Don Pointjock not making it to as many tournaments as he used to, or only
occasionally showing up at fighter practice; and Don Pointjock putting his
rapier gear in the garage and not touching it for years while he pursues a
white belt or Laurel or whatever.

         -Tivar Moondragon
                 Ansteorra