[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Dana sca004 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 22 06:46:35 PDT 2006

My experience in Scouting (a very long time ago) was been merit badges were
earned when specific tasks had been completed. You knew exactly what needed
to be done for that merit badge to be awarded so when you completed those
tasks you had earned that badge and you received it. One of the biggest
differences I see between merit badges and SCA awards are the words "with
all rights and responsibilities thereto appertaining". Some people take
those words to heart, others don't have the foggiest notion of their
meaning.

 In the system we use those things are not so clearly defined. Cookies to me
are much different than merit badges and SCA awards. Merit badges and SCA
awards have met some criteria and are considered to have been earned,
cookies are favors or rewards that are given without the "expected"
requirements met.

SCA award requirements are very dependent upon the current Crown.
Each Crown has Their expectations of what is required for the granting of an
award. Some Crowns are very charitable about awards and all it takes is for
a friend to send in a recommendation or maybe that person just happens to
make a good impression on Them, the Crown does not impose any time limits on
the receiving of awards and They do not limit the number of awards given at
an event. On the other hand some Crowns may have a very specific system and
policy set in place before giving out any recognition and/or awards. They
might require a person receive a set number of recommendations and/or
require the recommendation of a Peer, a Baron and Baroness or a seneschal,
They might put certain time limits on receiving awards (must have played 18
months before getting an AOA, must have not received any award in the past 2
years, etc.) maybe They only give out 6 awards per event no matter how many
people from that group deserve awards.

Is it fair...not necessarily. Does it make you WANT to attend Their
Courts...maybe. Do we use Their methods and Their granting of awards as a
barometer of how well they did as Crown...most definitely.

As a past seneschal I can say both scenarios have their +'s and  -'s.
Generally it only takes a few Courts to figure out the requirements the new
Crown has placed on the granting of awards. The most well liked Crowns in
Ansteorra have had a good balance between being too lax and/or too strict on
the granting of awards and have thrown in a surprise or two just to keep us
guessing.  We live with each Crown for 6 months and hope that the next Crown
follows the great example set by the Crown before Them or that They are
aware of the need to have a different approach to do a better job.

This is all very easy for me to sit back and spout off about because I have
never had (or wanted) to walk in Their shoes. I appreciate and admire those
willing to step up, take on the responsibility of what must be a very long 6
months to sit the Thrones of Ansteorra. Our system may not be perfect, but
it is interesting and we have survived.

Dana Mac an Ghabhann