[Ansteorra] SPAM issues (was PeriodEncampment List)

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 22 11:18:07 PDT 2006

On May 22, 2006, at 1:05 PM, elizabeth at crouchet.com wrote:
>> On 22 May 2006 at 10:54, Chass Brown wrote:
>>> Who is the Mod of the Period Encampment list? Come on guys its
>>> being flooded with span all the
>>> time/... I ask this since it ends with the ansteorra.org
>>>
>>> Chass Brown A.K.A. <snip>
>
> Several lists are having spam issues. It has to do with swapping to
> new servers and new server providers. It is being worked on
> and will be resovled soon. Have patience!
>
> So the Ansteorran Server Gods tell me.  ;-)
>
> Claire

There are filters in place on the servers to stop SPAM before it ever
reaches the individual lists. All the lists were just moved to new
severs, so the server admins have temporarily turned off the server-
level SPAM filters (one less thing to have to worry about going wrong).

Fortunately, it's easy to set up the individual lists to stop most
SPAM. The list admin just needs to turn on moderation for everyone
who isn't a member of the list. That means that every message from a
non-subscriber (which includes almost all SPAM) has to be approved by
the list admin.

The Hou-announce and Stargate lists (both of which I moderate) are
set up that way, and it's working great. Although it's been quite an
education as to exactly how much SPAM was previously being stopped by
the servers! :-P

Michael Silverhands