[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

David J. Hughes davidjhughes.tx at netzero.net
Mon May 22 17:22:29 PDT 2006

Jean Paul de Sens wrote:

> I really appreciate all the response from everyone.  I do want to
> clarify that our question was an academic one i.e. "what are the
> fundamental flaws and benefits of a merit badge system" as opposed to
> "why don't we switch the SCA over to a merit badge system?"  My
> apologies for not making that clear enough.
>
> Neither Gilyan nor I were in scouts for any substantial period of time
> (which seems to be the largest venue of experience based upon the
> the system.
>
> JP

The bad points have been mentioned:
Badge hunters who do the minimum and no more
one up manship "I'vew got an Iris and you don't nyahh nyahh nyahh!"
Those whose distribute the awards only watching the conventional route.

Good points
Clearly defined steps to a goal
That quiet guy who's always in the background and no one ever notices
can show that he's done everything needed for some award
Those people who do something for the sheer love of it can still be
surprised with an award

Me?  I never expected to get any award in the SCA, and was always
surprised and pleased when I was called up.

In the BSA (Eagle, 1972), I did things because I liked to do them.
One slow day at summer camp, I started browsing through the Merit Badge
Manual, making a list of ones I had met all the requirements for over
the last few years, and decided I probably should go ahead and check
them off.  The awards ceremony at the Court of Honor was interesting, as
I kept getting called up all evening long. (IIRC, 15 or 16 awards of one
type or another)
Yeah, I do tend to put off doing paperwork, and then do a mound of it
all at once <G>

David Gallowglass