[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges

Elisabeth B. Zakes kitharis at gmail.com
Tue May 23 07:21:44 PDT 2006

On 5/23/06, Jean Paul de Sens <jeanpauldesens at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hawkins, I was more searching for the reason why applying the label of
> "merit badge" system would be construed as a negative thing, if you
> understand what I mean.  I.e., what is it about the merit badge system that
> makes it available to be used as a derogatory descriptor.
>
> Some answers to that have arrived, although I'd certainly be willing to see
> more.
>
> JP

For some, merit badges are viewed as "fulfilling a series of
checkboxes without regard for what is trying to be accomplished by the
checkboxes" -- i.e., "If I do all these things and check them off my
list, I can get a ________." This negates doing things for the love of
them and being recognised for that love as well as the effort put into
the whatever. There will always be those who accomplish goals for the
reward at the end rather than for the joy of doing the thing itself.

The "merit badge" label seems to be applied for those people. They are
after the greatest number of badges without really learning what's
intended to be taught. These people can be identified by how they
disappear from an activity once they have gained all the badges they
can from it, and move on to another activity.

There is a subset of these people who look at others who have done the
same things they have, but for the love of it rather than for the end
reward, and get pouty because "that person received his 'reward' and I
didn't". They don't realise that attitude and outlook may have a role
to play in the decision of who gets what award by which ruling noble.
Most nobles I have seen will give greater thought to someone who does
a task for the love of the work and the personal satisfaction it
brings than to someone who does the task to check off one more line
item. To the former, an AoA is an acknowledgement of the person's
contribution to the group; to the latter, the AoA is a merit badge to
be displayed.

Perhaps the greatest difference is the age group. For the youth, merit
badges are a tangible encouragement to the desired behaviour and
activity. That system works quite well for positive reinforcement, and
most parents and teachers know the value of positive reinforcement.
But adults think differently, and merit badges can quickly become
things to gather. Then, the positive reinforcement is the respect that
is gained from one's peers (not the Peerage, mind, but the people one
interacts with on a regular basis). The first time someone came to me
for advice because he thought I knew an answer was a very heady
experience. I realised that others then viewed me as one with
knowledge, and something valuable to them. That was a greater "reward"
for my time than any medallion could ever be.

Perhaps this has rambled off from what I was trying to say, but I hope
it makes sense to someone.

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad