[Ansteorra] The Lyst at Castleton

Dave Wise drwise at houston.rr.com
Tue May 23 08:01:31 PDT 2006

Greetings all from the Steward of the Lysts of Castleton,

I would like to address a few questions that I have received regarding
the event.  Please allow me to cover a few general points, then I'll try
to cover some specifics.

This event is a bit different from your usual baronial championship
event.  Instead of having all the days activities scattered over the
site, there will be a gallery set up to provide everyone shaded
seating.  All good gentles will be invited to join Their Majesties to
watch as Ansteorra's greatest champions will take the field to
demonstrate their prowess.  There will be contests of mounted crest
combat, hours of chivalric foot combat and the day will conclude with
jousting.  Worthy entrants are invited to compete on any, or all, of the
three fields and a champion will be determined for each field, as well
as overall.  But this is not an event for the idle bystander, as the
members of the gallery are expected to encourage and reward the
competitors for their efforts.  If you have always wanted to see certain
combatants vie against each other, or have a preference for certain
styles of combat, then this is your chance to request the entrants to
demonstrate their talents.  For those who are not familiar with a pas
d'armes format, this is where we strive to promote interaction between
the gallery and the noble warriors upon the field.

Now for some details.  The day will consist of several events and fields
as follows:

Helmschau:  This is where the decorated helm of each of entrant is put
on display so that you will recognize them when they take the field.
Proper heraldry is appreciated.  If the helm is to be used for the
mounted combat, it must meet the standards and the crest must be readily
dislodged when struck.  For those looking for ideas on construction
there is a link on the webpage <http://lysts.swordworks.org/> for the event.

Admission to the lysts.  Prior to taking the field each entrant shall be
presented to the gallery to request admission to the Lyst.  This will be
done only once per entrant when they first take the field (i.e. if you
have processed in for mounted combat, you won't need to again when the
foot combat starts).  As tournaments are restricted to those of gentle
blood, your herald should be prepared to 'prove' your lineage.  This
might include a proper patent of arms, worthy witnesses or such other
means as necessary to satisfy the gallery [A quick note;  an actual
patent is not required, rather this is intended to give our heralds a
chance to fulfill their primary role of 'promoting' their patrons,
assumed titles and creativity are the order of the day, and some bribery
would probably go a long way ;-)      Think of Chaucer's role in 'A
Knight's Tale, over the top highly encouraged].  Should your herald not
arrive in a timely fashion, there will be heralds available who will be
eager to offer their services, once arrangements have been made.

Mounted combat.  Those entering this list will be introduced to the
gallery in a procession.  Once the procession concludes, the entrants
shall vie against each other until a champion is determined.  You have
to be authorized for this activity and some loaner horses might be
available.  If you need authorization, or a loaner horse, please contact
me or your local equestrians ASAP if you are planning on this field.

Foot combat.  Those not previously introduced to the gallery shall be
presented.  Once the procession concludes, the entrants shall vie
against each other until a champion is determined.  This will be an open
format where entrants will receive credit for each bout they undertake,
with additional credit for success against their opponents.  We will
have barriers and encourage all styles of weapons and even small team
engagements.  It will be up to you, or your herald, to 'explain' the
results to the gallery.  [Be prepared for a grand melee to conclude that
may be done as a banner melee, i.e. where each entrant will have a
banner born onto the field and must retire if their banner falls].
Details are still being worked out, so if you have suggestions, please
let me know.  Crests are encouraged, but not required.

Jousting.  Those not previously introduced to the gallery shall be
presented.  Once the procession concludes, the entrants shall vie
against each other until a champion is determined.  You have to be
authorized for this activity and some loaner horses might be available.
If you need authorization, or a loaner horse, please contact me or your
local equestrians ASAP if you are planning on this field.  Loaner
equipment is available also.  This is an activity that has been brought
to the known world through Ansteorra, so it is fitting that we should
host the first jousting tournament.

Feast.  There is no feast planned for this event, but some groups are
discussing some form of potluck.  There has been mention of taverns, but
I have not received confirmation at this time.

Court.  Will take place following the day's events to recognize the
champions of the day.  All landed nobles in attendance are invited to
join TRM's in court  [If all landed nobles who are planning to attend
could let me know, it would be helpful to ensure adequate seating].

Revelry shall be the order of the evening, but not too much, since
Sunday will feature Ansteorra's finest equestrians vying to become the
next King's Lancer of Ansteorra through competition in a wide variety of
challenges upon their noble steeds.

I have also heard that merchants are making their way to the event to
cater to the noble patrons of Ansteorra.

If you have additional questions, please take a look at the webpage
<http://lysts.swordworks.org/> for additional information, or please
contact me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the event.

With regards,

Alexis
Steward of the Lysts of Castleton

p.s. There will be jousting practice at Warlord this weekend and some
time for authorizations on friday, June 9th, but please let me know so I
can make arrangements.

p.p.s. please forward to your local lists