[Ansteorra] Merchant - Laurel

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed May 24 05:52:03 PDT 2006

At 07:17 AM 5/24/2006, Morgan wrote:

>I don't know if the analogy is perfect or even close, but what would you
>think of a knight who charged by the hour to teach fighting?  Eastern
>martial arts folks have been charging for classes for over 50 years in
>this country.  does that apply to the merchant/laurel discussion?

Yes and no. *I* wouldn't charge someone to teach them how to fight, but on
the other hand, I've had the host group pay my airfare to various
out-of-kingdom teaching events numerous times.

Another aspect is that typically, an A&S activity can involve expense
(sometimes considerable expense) for the materials involved. Arguably it's
more labor-intensive than fighting, too. Winning a tournament takes maybe
half a dozen fights lasting five minutes or less; even a mediocre A&S entry
probably requires a *lot* more than thirty minutes of work. (And yes,
there's a lot of training time involved in getting good enough to win that
tournament, but there's a lot of training time involved in learning how to
produce a masterwork, too.)

         -Tivar Moondragon