[Ansteorra] Merchant - Laurel

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed May 24 15:02:45 PDT 2006

At 09:47 AM 5/24/2006, you wrote:

> > Another aspect is that typically, an A&S activity can involve expense
> > (sometimes considerable expense) for the materials involved. Arguably it's
> > more labor-intensive than fighting, too. Winning a tournament takes maybe
> > half a dozen fights lasting five minutes or less; even a mediocre A&S
> > entry
> > probably requires a *lot* more than thirty minutes of work. (And yes,
> > there's a lot of training time involved in getting good enough to win that
> > tournament, but there's a lot of training time involved in learning how to
> > produce a masterwork, too.)
> >
> >         -Tivar Moondragon

>let's just not go there. a discussion of the "worth" of the various aspects
>of the SCA is divisive rather than helpful.
>
>HL AmaRyah

I wasn't *intending* to say that either activity has more worth than the
other, merely pointing out that a merchant who makes, say, armor, has to
buy the metal, rivets, tools, etc. Their raw materials don't just fall from
the sky. Even if you don't factor in the time expended in making the item,
there are still costs involved, and if someone is selling things and *not*
covering their costs, they're likely to run into problems.

         -Tivar Moondragon