[Ansteorra] Cookies and merit badges - children's badge program

Adria Lorelle alorelle at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 24 16:04:05 PDT 2006

Greetings Ansteorra,

  Baroness Adria here.  I am happy to see the badge program brought up in this discussion.

  I understand some of the concerns about the felt badges, but they can last (I have seen two sashes from the late '80's still intact). Felt and Tulip paint may not sound like much, but I have seen many children's faces light up when handed this small token of something they have learned and earned.  Also, I feel the more money for supplies we put into the badges themselves, the less likely the program is to last.  Besides, if your child has several badges and you wish to remake them out of another material that would be great.  The scrolls may get lost and the badges may need to be redone, but the knowledge and sense of accomplishment from the classes can stay and change a bored elementary/ jr. high aged child to an active, creative young adult.

  But this program doesn't just benefit the children, it encourages individuals of all aspects of the SCA ( fighting, A&S, service, etc.) to share their knowledge.  The teachers of the classes do get credit for their time and effort. The old scroll text was signed by the MOC only, but I have changed it so that the teacher signs also.

  If anyone is interested, there will be two badge classes at Steppes Warlord (basic heraldry and  court dancing).  I will be at Steppes Saturday and would love to talk about the program in person.  I also invite anyone interested in the badge program to attend the MoC meeting at King's Round Table in July.

  In service,
  Adria
  KMoC