[Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Officers

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 17:30:08 PDT 2006

--- ansteorra-request at ansteorra.org wrote:
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:40:09 -0500
From: Racheal <racheal.no.ansteorra at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] The real problem . . . Officers
To: "Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc." <ansteorra at ansteorra.org>

>I have only been involved with the SCA for 1 1/2 yrs.  I am serving my first
>year of office.  The main problem I am having is that one of the other
>officers is belittling alot of my work.  If the other officer was giving
>creative criticism it would be ok but that person is making me feel so hurt
>and upset...I am almost ready to give up the entire SCA experience.  Even
>though I was just given my AoA.
>
>As an officer, we are here to help one another as well as helping our
>group.  Not to tear another person down.  How can that be chivalrous?
>
>Racheal

It's unfortunate that you are receiving that type of negativity. I don't know the dynamics,
whether the criticism was hear-say from a secondary source or given directly to you, but as it
sounds like the person has not offered 'Creative criticism' which you suggest would be more
helpful; perhaps you can ask them directly yourself.  By opening a discourse, it may resolve the
issues in question as more knowledge is exchanged.

Yes, as officers we should help each other with ideas, and some do this better than others.
That's why business meetings and event planning are encouraged to happen via a meeting - as ideas
are exchanged for the event/branch, which serves as an education for newcomers, and reminders for
those of us who forget things.

Its important to remember as officers, that those who come after us may not do as excellent a job
as we did - and that's ok, so long as the job is served to it's requirements; but the flip side is
also true, that the person who succeeds us may do a better job than we.  Retired officers need to
take care that their 'suggestions' to their successors don't appear as 'criticisms'.

Cheers, Hillary