[Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimuml

bsmall at cox-internet.com bsmall at cox-internet.com
Tue Nov 7 10:46:34 PST 2006

> From: "Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace" <sirlyonel at hotmail.com>
> Date: 2006/11/06 Mon AM 11:42:06 CST
> To: ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimuml
>
> Salut cozyns,
>
> Several lately have asked what we lose and gain if we set our armor
> standards to SCA minimums. The biggest gains are
>
> 1) A reduction in documentation update and oversight requirements. Less
> versions of the rules means less to track, less to update, less reviews to
> obtain.
> 2) Simplification of the rules means simpler training and less chance of a
> fighter or marshal applying the wrong rule with only one set.
> 3) Greater flexibility for interkingdom fighting. New fighters moving into
> Ansteorra from other kingdoms won't have to upgrade their armor or learn a
> new standard.

Greetings,

Just to touch on a few things.  Reason 1 does lead to a reduction in work.  However it takes the responsibility away from the kingdom and puts the burden on the Society level.  Personally, I don't think this is a good idea.

Reason 2. I'm not sure this would actually result in a simplification of training.  As far as applying wrong rules with only one set, we do have only 1 set.  The Ansteorran set.  Which also covers any Society regulation.  There is no reason for a fighter or a marshal to be applying rules from both the Ansteorran rules and the Society rules.

Reason 3. Yes, it might help new fighters moving into the kingdom, but it won't address actual interkingdom events like GW nor does it help Ansteorran fighters moving to another kingdom which doesn't default to Society minimums.

I've been involved in several rewrites of our rapier rules as well as Society rapier rules.  As long as the Society rules are incorporated into ours, and as they change, the changes are made in our rules in a timely manner (if changes are, indeed, needed), there's not a problem.  And that's part of the kingdom marshal's job.  In some cases, we might want greater clarification of a particular rule (the helm straps for example.  Not all 1/2" strapping is created equal, and our rules clarify that.)

Here's a hypothetical.  Let's say we dafault to Society.  Now they come back and say that they are reducing certain requirements.  If we look at that and don't agree, then we're back to having our own rules.  What have we saved?  It could be said that going with the minimums we still have the option and flexibility to make our own at any time.

So, really, as I see it any way, there are advantages and disadvantages to defaulting to Society rules.  I don't see that we've had major, glaring problems with having our own rules, so I don't see that the advantages significantly outweigh the disadvantages or vice versa.

Ansgar
former Kingdom Rapier Marshal