[Ansteorra] Armoring standards

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 14:09:04 PST 2006

I suppose I expressed my concern poorly.

- Currently the SCA sets a minimum armor standard.
- Most Kingdoms have additional rules that further
limit what armor/weapons are acceptable.

I think that the tendency of kingdoms to further
regulate armor and weapons creates a disinclination
for the SCA as a whole to set tighter armor standards,
since there is a mechanism for local variations to be
addressed at a local level.  For instance, a no face
thrust kingdom could allow no gorget under an aventail
(I think, I haven't read all the new regs).  On the
other hand a kingdom like Ansteorra, where face
thrusting with 12' spears is allowed, does now require
a gorget, even under an aventail.

My concern is that by simply setting our armoring
standards to match SCA standards, whatever they are or
may become, we abdicate our responsiblity for our own
rules.  By doing so, we encourage the SCA Marshallate
to make the society rules more restrictive, especially
if all or most kingdoms were to do the same thing.  If
the Ansteorran Marshals Handbook, says "Ansteorran
Armoring standards will conform to SCA armoring
standards" or some such, with no further ammendment,
then anyone who disagrees with those standards will be
inclined to take their concern to the Society level
rather than the kingdom level.  If we want to relax
our armoring standards, I think that discussing and
deciding those standards point by point is the
resposible way to do it.  I also think that it will
help ensure that we have the power to make our own
decisions about things like vambraces, elbow cops
behind shields, and other bits of our standards.

I hope that I have clarified my concern.

Laszlo