[Ansteorra] Armour Standards

Lori Campbell countesskat at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 08:15:04 PST 2006

>Laszlo said:
> My concern is that by simply setting our armoring
> standards to match SCA standards, whatever they are or
> may become, we abdicate our responsiblity for our own
> rules.  By doing so, we encourage the SCA Marshallate
> to make the society rules more restrictive,

I understand this school of thought completely.  I think it is at the
center of my distaste for any formal statement that says “Ansteorra
doesn’t have its own rules, we’re just cool with whatever corporate
allows.”

With almost any aspect of Society government there is an accountability
factor for decisions made at corporate level that the autonomy of the
kingdoms encourages.  With every bit of autonomy we give up, that
accountability is lost.

I guess all I'm saying is that we need to be darn sure we trust the
rulemakers at the corporate level (the current ones and all those who
will follow) before we do away with our own guidelines.

Lyonel said:
> I fervently believe, however, that the Ansteorran armor requirements
> have gotten excessive.

Could you elaborate on what aspects of our requirements are excessive?
I’ve been a bit out of the loop, but that just isn't a word I've ever
heard tied to our armor regs.

I guess I always thought of Ansteorra as having just slightly above
Society minimum armor requirements.  We always used to joke that our
shields were bigger because we wore far less armor than some (insert
jokes about leg armor made of “Ansteorran double-knit”).

Wiesenfeuer