[Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimum

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 13:32:10 PST 2006

Salut cozyns,

In addition to Jean-Paul's response to Ansgar's post, I'd like to address to
of Ansgar's statements regarding the proposed reduction of the armor
standards to SCA minimums.

Ansgar dit qe:

>Reason 1 does lead to a reduction in work. However it takes the
>responsibility away from the kingdom and puts the burden on the Society
>level.

Responsibility for what? Perhaps you could offer a concrete example. I for
one can think of none. Now, if you're referring to your hypothetical
situation, however,...well, let's look at that:

>Here's a hypothetical.  Let's say we dafault to Society.  Now they come
>back and say that they are
>reducing certain requirements.  If we look at that and don't agree, then
>we're back to having our own rules.  What have we saved?  It could be said
>that going with the minimums we still have the option and flexibility to
>make our own at any time.

Well, yes, of course it could be said. The first point I'd make is that the
SCA minimum armor standards are unlikely to undergo a significant rollback.
The second is that, my proposal deletes all those pages of armor standards
in the Ansteorra Participant's Handbook and replaces them with a statement
like the following:

Ansteorra recognizes the SCA minimum armor standards stated in section VI of
the SCA Marshal's Handbook without additions. Those standards can be found
at http://sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/marshal_handbook.pdf
<<<<

If at any time in the future a rollback actually occurs and some whacko
Society Marshal decides to do his part in controlling the population, say,
and removes the requirements for groin protection, we add a minor
modification to our rules. We take out "without additions" and put in, "with
the following minor modifications:..."

Reducing our standards is not a contract to use the SCA minimums with no
future additions. We surrender nothing. We just clean out some cobwebs.

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel
Dum doceo disco