[Ansteorra] Altering armor standards

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 04:42:59 PST 2006

Salut cozyns,

Laszlo dit qe:

>But my concern is not really that the SCA will lower
>armor standards lower than what they already are.  It
>is that if a group of people in the SCA feel that the
>armor standards are too light that they will address
>their concern at the SCA level vice doing so at the
>kingdom level.

<snip>
>Simplifying the paperwork involved in publishing and
>maintaining these regulations is a laudable effort,
>but one that I think could probably be accomplished by
>doing what I understand the rapier community is
>working on, i.e. stating that the rules for chivalric
>combat are the same as those set by the SEM with the
>following additions....  This means that revisions to
>society law are automatically incorporated into
>kingdom law, without requiring a rules rewrite unless
>some other aspect of the laws conflict.

That's pretty much what we're talking about doing, Laszlo. At present, many
of us see none of the existing additions in the Ansteorran armor standards
as really necessary. A few feel that Ansteorra should maintain the vambrace
requirement (note, however, that the vambrace poll resulted in a majority
NO vote).

If we change our armor standards to say simply that Ansteorra uses the SCA
armor standards without addition, will those who see a need for more believe
they must address the matter at the Society level? I can't answer that. They
shouldn't. I don't know that it matters. As I noted in a response yesterday,
we always have the option of adding, "with the following exceptions." In the
meantime, we will have simplified one of the most complicated portions of
the Ansteorran Participant's Handbook.

Lyonel
Dum doceo disco