[Ansteorra] Armor standards

robert segrest aumbob at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 3 12:38:13 PST 2006

One question that is begged by the question of whether
Ansteorran armor standards should match Society
standards concerns other aspects of the marshalate
rules.

Since each kingdom can set standards for weapons
(Siloflex, 12' spears, unpadded glaives, etc.), and
has different blow calling standards (although I am
aware that this is more theoretical than actual), how
much of our armoring standards is a reflection of our
weapons standards and our general combat philosophy.
In other words, if we didn't require vambraces, would
we allow unpadded glaives, and/or would we lighten our
blow calibration.

It seems to me that if we are going to have local,
relatively independent control over some aspects of
the marshallate, we need to maintain control over all
aspects of the marshallate.  If we defer to the
Society to make these decisions, and if other kingdoms
follow suit, the Society will be forced to make its
rules based on both the most dangerous practices in
any kingdom, and the most restrictive judicial
jurisdictions mundanely.  i.e. If Atlantia decides
that to expirement with steel cores in rattan swords,
we don't have to convert all steel armor to accomodate
them.  Likewise, if Meridies wants to use fencing
masks instead of bar grills, we don't have to stop
using face thrusts.  Extreme (and currently illegal)
examples, I know, but I think it illustrates my point.

Anyway, that's my two cents

Laszlo