[Ansteorra] Armour Standards

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 04:33:59 PST 2006

At 09:39 PM 11/5/2006, Meser Lyonel wrote:

(snip)

>I fervently believe, however, that the Ansteorran armor requirements have
>gotten excessive. We should legislate the minimums at the Society level and
>only recommend additions. Nothing in the armor standards says that wearing
>the minimum level of protection guarantees that you will not be injured. It
>would be litigious suicide to make such a statement. Granted, nothing in the
>Ansteorran Participant's Handbook specifically says that we are guaranteeing
>safety, but the arguing that those additions make us "safer" strongly
>implies that those additions guarantee safety. Such an implication writes a
>check I don't think we can cash.

First, let me disclaim that I'm not  lawyer, nor do I play one at the
Globe. Nevertheless, I'm not sure that your argument is valid.
Wearing additional protective gear *is* safer than not wearing it,
but that doesn't guarantee *complete* safety from injury. (If you
want that, stick to Neverwinter Nights or Worlds of Warcraft-type games. <G>)

It's like the difference between riding a motorcycle wearing a
minimum helmet, shorts and a T-shirt, riding a motorcycle wearing a
better helmet, jeans and a denim jacket and riding a motorcycle
wearing a full-head helmet and crash suit. None of thse options will
save your life in a worst-case scenario wreck, but in a lesser wreck,
the extra gear *does* increase your chances of walking away unharmed.

         -Tivar Moondragon