[Ansteorra] Armor standards and the SCA minimuml

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 09:42:06 PST 2006

Salut cozyns,

Several lately have asked what we lose and gain if we set our armor
standards to SCA minimums. The biggest gains are

1) A reduction in documentation update and oversight requirements. Less
versions of the rules means less to track, less to update, less reviews to
obtain.
2) Simplification of the rules means simpler training and less chance of a
fighter or marshal applying the wrong rule with only one set.
3) Greater flexibility for interkingdom fighting. New fighters moving into
Ansteorra from other kingdoms won't have to upgrade their armor or learn a
new standard.

So what changes in the standards? How much has Ansteorra mandated over and
above the SCA minimums. Before I review these differences, I should note
that some items in the latest revision of the SCA minimum armor standards
are still in contention. These points of contention include the newest
requirements for padding under gorgets and camails, the padding requirements
for demi-gauntlets, and the freedom some kingdoms believe they had to
interpret the shield-side elbo protection requirements. These points of
contention are a separate issue.

Reviewing the Ansteorran Participant's Handbook (APH) and comparing SCA
minimum armor requirements, here are the current points of difference:

Helms.

SCA requirements:

- Lap joints welded or brazed at the edges of both pieces.

- Helms will be riveted with iron or steel rivets no more than 2½ inches
(63.5 mm) apart, or with equivalent riveting techniques.

- All helms shall be equipped with a chinstrap or equivalent means to
prevent the helm from being dislodged or metal contacting the wearer’s face
during combat. An equivalent might be, for example, a bevor or a chin-cup
suspension system. A “snug fit” is NOT an equivalent. The chinstrap shall be
at a minimum a ½ inch (12.7mm) in width and shall not be placed in the helm
in a manner that could strangle the wearer.

APH requirements:

- Lapped joints: must be welded or brazed at the edges of both pieces or
riveted with
solid iron or steel rivets no less than 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) in thickness
spaced no
greater than 2 inches (5.1 cm) apart. Rivets that are 3/16 inch (4.8 mm) or
greater in
thickness may be placed up to 2-1/2 inches (6.5 cm) apart.  [1]

- Rivets used to secure lapped joints will not be placed closer than 1/8
inch (3.2 mm)
from the outer edge of the overlapped piece. [2]

- Chinstraps will consist of:
a. 3/4 inch (18.8 mm) or wider, 8 oz. (1/8 inch – 3.2 mm) belt grade leather
b. 1/2 inch (12.5 mm) or wider heavy nylon strap [3]
c. Any equivalent combination of nylon or leather straps that equal the
above
standards.
d. Commercially available “paratrooper” 4-point chinstrap or equivalent
e. SHOESTRINGS or NARROW LEATHER STRAPS are NOT ALLOWED in or on the
chin area. [4]

Throat and neck protection.

SCA:

- 1/4" padding with a gorget or camail

APH:

- 1/2" padding with a gorget or camail [5]

Body armor.

SCA:

- a minimum of heavy leather and 1/4 inch padding covering the kidney area,
short ribs, and lower lumbar spine

APH:

- a minimum of heavy leather and 3/8 inch padding [6] covering the kidney
area, short ribs, and lower lumbar spine such that:

a. The kidney belt will be designed to fully encircle the torso of the
Combatant to allow a
closure gap of no more than 2 inches (5.1 cm) width, only when such a
closure gap is
located in the front of the body at the midline. This gap shall be
considered bridged
with a minimum width of 3 inches (7.6 cm) of heavy leather or the
equivalent.

b. If the kidney belt is not designed to have its closure in front of the
body at the midline,
there will be no gap at all where the edges meet. [7]

Arm protection.

SCA:

- elbows

APH:

-elbows and vambraces [8]

Hand protection.

SCA:

- rigid gauntlets that do not transfer the force to the haft require 1/4
inch padding

APH:

- rigid gauntlets that do not transfer the force to the haft require 3/8
inch padding [9]

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel Oliver Grace
_________________________________
Dum doceo disco

[1] The SCA minimum requirements do not give minimum rivet size. The APH 2"
versus 2.5" spacing requirement for 1/8" versus 3/16" rivets is clearly
copied from the bars requirement in the SCA Marshal's Handbook, but I don't
think the same logic applies to a rivet as to a face bar.

[2] I guess this rule was intended to prevent unduly weakening the edge of
the metal but it strikes me as attempting to quantify what should be a value
judgment: is the helm soundly riveted? I think our marshals should be taught
that they have to be willing to make judgment calls.

[3] This rule irritates me. We're being penalized for using period
materials? Why is a 1/2" leather strap good enough everywhere but in
Ansteorra? Is our leather somehow inferior? Also, I don't think most people
can tell a nylon strap from a polyester strap, and polyester straps are much
weaker than nylon.

[4] Redundant. The minimum of 1/2" already precludes shoestrings and narrow
straps.

[5] We need twice the padding? Is our padding inferior? Are our necks more
tender?

[6] Again, why more padding? I don't think the padding on body armor makes
much difference anyway. Why increase the thickness?

[7] Okay, I think part of the problem here is with the oriinal requirement
in the SCA guide to protect the "short ribs." "Short ribs" is a cooking term
which refers to either part of the rib cage around the spine or the bottom
five ribs on each side. I think they probably meant the floating ribs, which
end at the side of your body and which should be protected since a break
there can easily result in a punctured organ. Thus, limiting the belly gap
goes well beyond the protection required by the SCA minimum. What are we
trying to protect with this belt gap rule?

[8] I think vambraces are a damned fine idea. I see no reason to legislate
them. Frankly, I would never have given this rule a second thought if it
weren't for the wording in the APH, which requires not only vambrace
protection but continuous coverage from wrist to elbow with no gaps on the
outside and no gaps greater than one inch on the inside.

[9] Again with the thicker padding requirements.