[Ansteorra] Results of Vambrace Poll

Burke McCrory bmccrory at tax.ok.gov
Mon Nov 6 10:13:05 PST 2006

You know I have watched this from the sidelines now for over a month
(on this list and others) and there is one thing that bothers me.  I
understand the attempts to push the rules and see if we can add
additional styles and approaches to our fighting, this has been done
for years and is a good thing as it forces us to look at new things.

But why all of a sudden the want to make us good little clones of
every other kingdom?

Ansteorra has had its little idiosyncrasies in our armor requirements
and fighting styles for over a quarter of a century.  Yes, we use
larger shields and require vambraces, we tend to offer a person a
chance to yield when legged or armed and do not allow killing from
behind because it is against our code of honor.  How does this hurt
anyone?  I have never heard a single person complain that having
vambraces is a burden on getting their armor together and know of a
number of people that were very happy when they only got a mild
bruise from a blow that would have otherwise blasted their arm.  I
personally feel (based on my experience) that vambraces help to
reduce long term accumulative injures to people's forearms caused by
continuously getting them hit.   But the real question here is why
the want to do away with our personal flavor?  I know that some will
raise the specter that the changes are needed to make us more period
in our fighting approach or that some obscure period fighting manual
never showed fighting the way we do it.  Other will point out that we
need to come exactly into line with the SCA standards because that is
what everyone else has done.  Well I have a surprise for those
people,  SCA fighting is not an attempt to reenact fighting in a
purely historical approach.  Ever since the first tourneys with
swords made from cut down brooms, shields from trash cans, and armor
that included shag carpet and freon cans, SCA fighting has been about
having fun. Whether we are in it for the thrill of the fight,the
chance to do honor to out Lady (or Lord), or what ever the reason it
is suppose to be fun.  Also SCA standards are the minimum level that
we can drop down to not a defato complete standard.

As I said before testing the limits and pushing new ideas is a good
thing but I do not want to do this at the expense of what we are.

Burke