[Ansteorra] A request for list courtesy

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 7 07:53:03 PDT 2006

Greetings cousins,

Lately we've gotten pretty bad on this list about quoting the full
text of long messages, just to add a short (often personal) reply.
When you find yourself about to do that, please ask yourself two
questions *before* you click the "Send" button:

* Do I really need to quote the full text? Or could I cut some (or
even all) of it without any loss of meaning?

* Do I really need to send this to the public list? I.e., do 500
people need to see this message? Or is it really a personal reply
that could just as well be sent to one person, off-list?

I know that it's a lot easier to just click "Reply", type your short
message at the top (of a possibly *very* long message), and click
"Send". But that's easier for *you*, not for everyone else who then
has to wade through a list clogged with unnecessary quoting.

If we can do this, it will result in a list that's easier for all of
us to read, and will be especially appreciated by those who get the
list in digest (bulk) form.

I'm not meaning to pick on anyone in particular. As my German great-
grandmother used to say, "I'm not fussin' at you, I'm just tellin'
you." :-)

Kind regards,
Michael Silverhands
occasional tilter at windmills