[Ansteorra] Terms Coronets when to use

HerrDetlef at aol.com HerrDetlef at aol.com
Mon Oct 16 10:07:19 PDT 2006

In a message dated 10/16/2006 12:57:49 AM Central Standard Time,
willowdewisp at juno.com writes:

Questioning new customs
Duchess Willow de  Wisp

Your Grace,

Using the name of a concrete inanimate object to refer to a more abstract
institution is known in linguistic circles as "collocation."  Examples  include
referring to the institution of the monarchy as "The Throne" or "The  Crown".

It appears to me that your question is, if we reserve such collocations to
the monarchy (i.e., we only speak of "The Throne" when referring to the
king/queen, and not to any barons/baronesses), should we not also reserve those
labels to those who are colloquially associated with those inanimate  objects?

The usurpation of much royal prerogative (at least the ceremonial) seems to
be allowed in the name of more pageantry, but we need to remember that "the
Throne" and "the Crown" refer specifically to the king and queen, while "the
Coronet" refers specifically to the prince and princess, whether territorial or
 crown.  Would calling the chairs that barons and baronesses sit on
"baronial chairs" instead of "thrones" diminish the pageantry, or calling the  diadems
they wear "circlets" instead of "coronets"?

In German usage, the word "Krone" is used for the crowns of barons as well
as for those of emperors.  If I were to be true to my own persona, I would  be
tempted to refer to baronial crowns, and I know that would raise more than a
few eyebrows.  The British coronets of rank are not ALL that period, but  that
hasn't seemed to stop us from creating sumptuary laws and using coronets to
identify dukes, counts, barons, etc.

It seems we have an issue striking a balance between the highest possible
level of pageantry and a proper respect for those things that should be reserved
 to the king and queen.  Where does one end and the other begin?  Are  there
as many answers to that question as there have been people playing  SCA?
Should there be ONE answer?  Which would best serve our  game?

Lots of questions this sitution brings up.

Detlef