[Ansteorra] Polls

Karolus Janos karolus at gte.net
Mon Oct 23 12:39:26 PDT 2006

I'm going to disagree with your point that most new fighters fight minimum
armor standards. I think most new fighters tend to adopt the armor standards
of those training them, if their teacher wears thigh protection; most new
fighters wear thigh protection.  Also I can name about 6 or 7 fighters
currently fighting who wore more armor when they first came out then they do
now. These fighters went for protection early on, and then as they got
comfortable fighting, they dropped the armor they felt was unnecessary.

Would I likely fight without a vambrace on my shield arm?  Not likely.  Do I
think that vambraces prevent serious injury?  Not in particular, I've seen a
forearm broken with a boffer.  If the person swinging the weapon is using
way more force than is needed, bad things can happen.  I think every fighter
that walks onto the field knows this is a sport where you can get injured
and that you take your safety into your own hands, if you want to go out
with less armor than your opponent so is it.

So in short, I'm in favor of the poll, allow fighters to choose not to wear
vambraces under their shield if they are so inclined.

Now, about those half gauntlets......

Karolus