[Ansteorra] What are we here for?

Aingeal clan_mac at charter.net
Mon Oct 2 10:40:32 PDT 2006

As the Lady that you are speaking about, I want to personally thank you for
the act of chivalry that you bestowed upon me by carrying that table and the
example that you set for others in the Society.  I admired the courtesy that
was shown by deciding to assist me over your own need to rest. But I want to
express the other side of that point. If someone offers assistance the
recipient has the responsibility to accept the act graciously. As I was
mentored by Baroness Alys Carvelsdatter, she always told us young ladies to
remember that when we attend an event it is not the 20th century and to
accept those acts with grace and to show appreciation to the individual. She
then told us that if we declined the offer we discourage those individuals
and after they have been turned down a number of times they eventually quit
offering their  assistance. May this serve as a reminder for all of us that
participate in the society.

Aingeal Mac an Ghabhann