[Ansteorra] Bubble and Squeak

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 2 20:54:13 PDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 10:07 PM, JOHN KELLER wrote:
> Does anyone have a good recipe for Bubble and Squeak?  Right, now
> that you have finished laughing, this is an English dish made from
> potatoes, cabbage and sometimes sausage or leftover meat.  I have
> seen several recipes, but never having tried this, am not sure
> which ones are better than others.
>
>   And does someone know if this is a Period Dish?  Thanks for your
> help.
>
>   Wolfgang

No, it is extremely unlikely to be period. There are some period
recipes for potatoes, but most of these are for the sweet potato. The
recipes simply say potato and aren't specific whether they are
talking about the white or sweet potato. Many are cooked similarly to
how we cook sweet potatoes today, so they are assumed to be using
sweet potatoes. There are a few which are indeterminate and might be
for the white potato, but that is questionable. And even these are
Spanish recipes and not British.

potatoes-msg      (89K)  1/23/05    Period white and sweet potato
use. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/potatoes-msg.html

Stefan
--------