[Ansteorra] What are we here for?

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 04:42:58 PDT 2006

At 10:45 PM 10/3/2006, you wrote:
>I don't post to the list often, but this is an issue that has concerned me
>for some
>time.
>
>I am one of those ladies that refuse help as often as I accept it. I am just
>very independent and there are many reasons why I may or may not let someone
>carry things for me at that time. I remember in the late 90s when the
>subject came up that some ladies were being aggressive and rude when guys
>asked to help them. I have seen a rapid decline in courtesy since then. (In
>a few cases maybe it was deserved, I do not know and will not argue that
>issue) When I do decline help, I try to decline as gracefully as I can and
>tell the other person that I do appreciate them asking. Even when I do
>decline help I enjoy seeing people offer to help one another.

Precisely. The scenario *should* run something like this:

Person A: (Observing person B carrying things) "Would you like a hand
with that?"

Person B: (pick one) "No, I've got it, but thank you anyway." OR
"Sure, if you'd take this, this, and that, I can handle the rest."

A polite offer to help, a polite acceptance or refusal, no hurt
feelings in either direction.

         -Tivar Moondragon