[Ansteorra] In defense of courtesy (was: Re:Courtesy challenge)

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 5 08:37:32 PDT 2006

On Oct 5, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Lisa Sawyer wrote:

> In addition to the skirts, the stairwells and doorways were very
> narrow. I
> toured two castles that had large sections existing from early to
> mid-period ...<snip>... there were stairs
> everywhere...not just the stairwell type...one step up to this
> room, two
> steps down to that room. It wouldn't have been easy to carry more
> than a
> small basket without it becoming very cumbersome.
>
> Just my thoughts,
> Ysabeau of Prague

My lady,

That was probably more for military reasons without regard for the
dictates of fashion. Narrow, twisty stairs -- and rooms with low
doors and unexpected steps -- are much easier to defend.

But I agree: it would have to have been a major hassle for women of
the period to navigate those castles. Maybe that's why they seem to
have preferred to live at manor houses and the like, and let the men
man the castles.

Michael Silverhands