[Ansteorra] In defense of courtesy (was: Re:Courtesy challenge)

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 12:50:56 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

> > Some
> > have argued that many of the outlandish extremes of feminine fashion
>were
> > ideologically designed as a reinforcement of the concept of women as
> > chattel. A woman who can't go through doors on her own, feed herself,
>run,
> > undress without assistance, ride a horse, or get into a cart or carriage
>on
> > her own is decidedly dependent upon the good graces of her lord.

Don Christian Doré says:

>Not at all. Being unable to do things for yourself was a method of
>showing wealth and applied to men as well as women.

I've heard this argument, but I don't see much support for it. Men of the
same era could accomplish most of these things without support. Armoring and
some (not all and not in all times) clothing are exceptions, but I don't
believe the reason for those items requiring support had anything to do with
conspicuous consumption. Armor required assistance because of complications
arising from concerns for safety and for presenting the best possible
appearance (buckles in the back of a cuirass, for example).

lo vostre per vos servir
Meser Lyonel