[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 6, Issue 26

Alix deBohun czarena_unrest at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 09:55:36 PDT 2006

I have been on both sides, acted as escort for a male friend, and have been the lady escorted by a male friend. I've never looked at is as validating my presense (even if that's what the tradition started as).  When someone is called into court to be made a peer, they are oft heralded in with much pomp and circumstance.  To me, being escorted into court is the same idea on a much (much) smaller scale. It's saying "this person is important enough to have entourage "(even if its an entourage of one).
  You, of course, bring up a good point though. The visual of several men clamoring to get to an unescorted lady is (while often humorous) probably not the best behavior. Unless its a dear friend/other half , perhaps letting someone who is closer and has offered is a better idea.
  my 2 cents :)
  Lady Alix deBohun