[Ansteorra] escorting people to the thrones

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 16 06:58:58 PDT 2006

I've always understood an escort to be "person's choice".  I've seen entrants into court accept an escort's arm, and I've seen them politely say, "No thank you. I'm fine."  Most of the time people escorted into court, the pair usually stops some distance away from the Crown, and the escort is released to allow the entrant to finish the approach solo.  If some largess is to be presented, the escort is nearby to assist, or if physical assistance is needed, they are there, but they are not "in the picture".

>From a personal POV, if my lady wife is present and I am called into court, I would ask her to escort me, that all might see the one who inspires me. It is a way for me to honor her.  If she is not present and I am called into court, I don't feel the need for an escort, though I might accept an escort from a lady in my household.  One time when I was called into court, my wife escorted me, and as I returned to her to leave TRM's presence, Their herald informed *her* that while I had Their leave to depart, *she* did not.  In that fashion, They presented her with an Award of Arms.  I've seen this technique used by many Crowns as a popular "gotcha!" approach. :)

Alden Drake