[Ansteorra] Vambrace Poll

Sue Delk ladydds at verizon.net
Mon Oct 23 14:17:33 PDT 2006

    Unfortunately, some of this comes down to the litigiousness of our society these days.  If people are willing to sue the SCA over little bitty things, they are sure more than willing to sue over a broken arm during a bout.  Yes, that's why we sign waivers and all that, but your insurance company will sue to try and recover their losses.  We are grown adults who legally can make our own decisions (even silly ones like hitting each other with big sticks), but some lawyers will find any opening to use to their advantage.
    One way they might look at it is this...if Ansteorra required vambraces once, and discontinued the practice, lawyers may look at that as creating a liability where there was none before.  As some have discussed, it's not always the new fighter who will get hurt.  Sir Morgan is a perfect example of this.  I think he'd fought a few fights before he got hurt last spring....  Yes he was wearing vambraces, but he admits it wasn't as rigid as it maybe should have been.
    My opinion, for what it's worth, is keep the vambraces.  I wasn't a chirurgeon before vambraces were required, so I didn't see the injuries that occurred as a result.  I'm looking from a chirurgeon standpoint and the fact that it is fairly easy to do some major damage in the forearm and injure major nerves that go to the hand.  Just my opinion....

In service,
HL Genevieve
Kingdom Chirurgeon