[Ansteorra] Vambrace Poll

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 19:57:04 PDT 2006

At 04:17 PM 10/23/2006, you wrote:

>     Unfortunately, some of this comes down to the litigiousness of
> our society these days.  If people are willing to sue the SCA over
> little bitty things, they are sure more than willing to sue over a
> broken arm during a bout.

Okay, I'm curious. How many actual lawsuits has the SCA had over
fighting injuries?

>Yes, that's why we sign waivers and all that, but your insurance
>company will sue to try and recover their losses.  We are grown
>adults who legally can make our own decisions (even silly ones like
>hitting each other with big sticks), but some lawyers will find any
>opening to use to their advantage.

I'm all in favor of reasonable rules to prevent us from injuring our
friends while we're trying to kill them, but I don't think "what if
we get sued?" should be the determining factor in our rules.
Otherwise we'll end up hiding under the bed for the rest of our
lives. (Or *maybe* playing computer combat-games until we all get
carpal tunnel syndrome.)

         -Tivar Moondragon