[Ansteorra] question for the ladys

Rod Jackson culn97 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 24 01:46:41 PDT 2006

Well said, Your Grace!

  I also forgot to suggest the Theater Arts Departments as potential recruiting grounds

  Colin

"willowdewisp at juno.com" <willowdewisp at juno.com> wrote:
  I was wondering if we could offer discounts for Students. A couple of dollars. It wouldn't make that much difference, but it would say "We are interested in college students." Sometimes we come off so old and stuffy that we seem to reject them. We also need to give them more respect. And pay attention when our underage people become 21 and older. Recently a young person turned 21 and the person had been around since he was 15 and when he entered a competition recently he was given the youth prize. This didn't bother him, but it made his friends very upset for him. I joined when I was 18 doing events when I was 19 and running groups when I was 20. I was major player in Ansteorra at 26. Master Edwin and his household were one of the best groups in the Steppes when they were 15. As we get older people look so young but we weren't much older when we were building Ansteorra. We need to judge individuals on their abilities not their age. Master Edwin was one of the best
 senechale S
teppes e
ver had before he was 18. I think we will be pleasantly surprised if we put our faith in our 20 to 27 year olds.
We also need to educate more. In early Ansteorra we had a theory that newcomers needed to given lots of data. We had 101 classes but we had 201, 301 on up classes. We talked about the duties of peers and nobles long before anyone got to be a peer or noble. We thought if we told people what would be expected of them in the beginning they were more likely to live up to the expectations when they got to be in charge. We used historical ideals. We stressed studying history and told people to look to the highest Ideals of our time periods as a touchstone. people new to the SCA, no matter what their age, will make mistakes if they are not given data.We stressed giving data to everybody because you never know who will be teaching who in 5 years.
Willow