[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 6, Issue 59

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Wed Oct 25 09:05:31 PDT 2006

This is what Ansteorran law says about coronets and filets:

Article IX : Coronet Sumptuary Laws

Crowns or coronets bearing 1 or more Ansteorran Stars (a mullet of 5 lesser
and 5greater points) are restricted to the Crown, the Heirs, former Crowns
of Ansteorra, and former territorial barons and baronesses of Ansteorra as
set forth below.

Section 1 : Royal Crowns

A. Coronets bearing a Queen's Rose (a rose sable charged with a rose or,
thereon a mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable) are
restricted to the Queen.

B. The Royal Crowns and the Heirs' Crowns may have triple-lobed motifs as
long as they do not resemble strawberry leaves.

C. The Royal Crowns and the Heirs' Crowns may display one or more Ansteorran
Stars.

Section 2 : Ducal Coronets

A. Dukes and duchesses have the exclusive right to wear coronets with
strawberry leaves (three strawberry leaves, one palewise and two fesswise,
stems to center). Dukes and duchesses share with the Crown and Heirs, but
restrict from all others, the right to any triple-lobed motif that extends
above the line of the top of the coronet. These may be freestanding or
placed upon the embattlements of a county coronet.

B. Ansteorran dukes and duchesses may display an Ansteorran Star on their
ducal coronets.

C. Those of ducal rank may choose to wear a flat-topped coronet, but should
remember that they might be mistaken for a baron or baroness.

Section 3 : County Coronets

A. Counts and countesses have the exclusive right to wear coronets that are
embattled or dovetailed on the top. A single heraldic or decorative motif in
front is not in violation. Small pearls alone, or with no more than six
engrailed projections, are not prohibited by this clause; refer to "Baronial
Coronets" below.

B. Ansteorran counts and countesses may display an ansteorran Star on their
county coronets.

C. Those of county rank may choose to wear a flat-topped coronet, but should
remember that they might be mistaken for a baron or baroness.

ANSTEORRAN KINGDOM LAW

Article IX : Coronet Sumptuary Laws

37

Section 4 : Viscounty Coronets

A. Viscounts and viscountesses have the exclusive right to wear coronets
with one, four, or six semi-circular projections.

B. Those of viscounty rank may choose to wear a flat-topped coronet, but
should remember that they might be mistaken for a baron or baroness.

Section 5 : Baronial Coronets

A. All barons and baronesses have the right to wear one of the following as
a sign of their rank:

1. Flat-topped coronets may have 6 to 12 spherical projections of no more
than ½ inch diameter extending from the top of the coronet. It is
recommended that flat-topped baronial coronets be made clearly wider than
fillets.

2. Engrailed coronets may have up to six points or projections, which may be
surmounted by spherical projections of no more than ½ inch diameter.

The line of the coronet between points must be smoothly concave, in order to
clearly distinguish them from county coronets.

B. Territorial barons and baronesses have the exclusive right to wear
baronial coronets decorated with the arms, ensign, or badge of their barony.
A laurel wreath may only be included as part of the arms of the barony. A
baronial coronet should not have the personal insignia of the baron or
baroness, since it is not a personal coronet, but one that represents the
barony.

C. Former territorial barons and baronesses of Ansteorra may display an
Ansteorran Star on their baronial coronets.

D. Court barons and baronesses have the right to wear standard baronial
coronets, as long as the decorations do not violate existing sumptuary laws.

Section 6 : Other Kingdoms

Nobles who receive their nobility in other SCA kingdoms may wear coronets
that follow that kingdom's sumptuary laws, unless it is a striking violation
of normally accepted SCA practice. Burden of proof is on the noble.

Section 7 : Alternatives

Alternatives will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Alternatives
accompanied by documentation of period style will be given extra
consideration. Coronets made before consulting the Star Principal Herald or
a designated sumptuary deputy will receive no extra consideration. Money,
time, or materials already invested in a coronet are not arguments in its
favor.

ANSTEORRAN KINGDOM LAW

Article IX : Coronet Sumptuary Laws

38

Section 8 : Fillets

A. Any member of the populace may wear a metal fillet not to exceed ½ inch
in width.

B. Any metal-looking band across the front of the head is a coronet, if it
exceeds the stated dimension or is decorated in any of the ways noted above.

Elizabeta