[Ansteorra] catapulting

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 26 00:00:55 PDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 12:18 AM, Samuel Hudson wrote:

> There is a book titled "the crossbow"  it has a ton of info on seige
> engines.  Ill post more info on it later, I'm at work.
> --samuelhudson

I believe the book you are thinking of is this one. The info for the
latest hardback copy of this book is:
Crossbow Mediaeval and Modern Military and Sporting with a Treatise
on the Balista and Catapult of the Ancients and an Appendix on the
Catapult, Balista & the Turkish Bow
by Payne Gallwey, Ralph
ISBN: 0-946323-14-3
Holland Press Ltd
1990.

It was first published in 1903.

Synopsis
A treatise on the crossbow. Additionally, the book deals with every
related weapon, from the siege engines, balistas and catapults of the
ancients, to such weapons as the Turkish bow and the Chinese
repeating crossbow. This book also looks at the construction and
management of crossbows.

However, I believe the hardcover edition is no longer in print. It
has been reprinted as a paperback by Dover, but it is my
understanding that the paperback does not include the appendixes.

I did purchase several copies when this book was going out of print
because it is still the best crossbow book that has ever been written
although the author did get some internal details wrong since he
didn't have access to x-ray machines to get detailed photographs of
the inside of some of the crossbows. If anyone wants to buy one of my
copies, please contact me off-list, but beware that even as a
remainder the book was going for $65 or more.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com