[Ansteorra] wax inside of period drinking vessels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 26 20:34:00 PDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 2:57 PM, Maleah wrote:
>  Most of
> the items I've seen, even from period displays at the Victoria and
> Albert
> Museum, where the outside is unglazed the inside is glazed or paraffin
> lined.

So, we do have proof of paraffin being used as waterproofing
technique in pottery in period? I've heard of wax being suggested
like this previously for drinking horns. I had always thought that
this was a modern technique though.

Actually paraffin, if you are meaning the American use of the term,
is a synthetic wax derived from petroleum dating from, I think, the
mid-19th century. So I assume if a wax was used in period, it would
have been beeswax. And it is the use of the latter in the inside of
drinking vessels that I'm really curious about.

"Paraffin" as a British term refers to what Americans call kerosene.
Probably not what you want to line the inside of your drinking horn
with. :-)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas