[Ansteorra] a question for any potters... a new one...

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 27 04:50:53 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

I've been looking for references on lead in clay (as opposed to lead in
glazes and paints) since the issue was first raised yesterday. I can find no
references to support such a claim. The only toxicity problems I've seen
referenced for pottery have been due to metal oxides in pigments: lead
white, Scheel green (arsenic), vermilion (mercury), cadmium yellow, Naples
yellow (arsenic again), and so forth.

As for the unglazed pottery poisoning tale--no. You could drink from a lead
chalice every morning and *might* develop neurological symptoms after
several years, but it probably wouldn't kill you. Now, a thalium-impregnated
mug would be a different story.

As I tried to say in the first place, I don't think an unglazed bisque salt
cellar poses any health threat. Laszlo (I think it was Laszlo) mentioned the
abrasive nature of salt crystals. No doubt, but a bisqued clay won't grind
down by any noticeable amount in a given evening. We put salt in glass
containers all the time, and we do see some damage after prolonged use.
Still, I've never heard any suggestion that we're ingesting ground glass
from our salt shakers.

Fill the salt cellar before feast. Empty it afterwards. No problem.

Lyonel
Dum doceo disco