[Ansteorra] WMAW 2006 Reminder!!!

hq at plumes.org hq at plumes.org
Fri Sep 1 08:26:57 PDT 2006

Greetings all!

I'm cross-posting this for those of you who might be interested in a whole-weekend introduction to historical swordsmanship. Next June, we're planning on teaming the Schola Saint George portion of the event up with a pas d'armes and Rattan symposium, as we have the support of the City of Lewisville for an annual event.

Come out and play!

Xpost as appropriate...

Earl Sir Brion Thornbird ap Rhys, OL

REMINDER!

The 2006 Western Martial Arts Workshop is being held in conjunction with the 2006 Schola Saint George International Swordsmanship Symposium in the Dallas, TX area, October 13-15 2006.

This year we have many "old hands" and some exciting new faces who will be offering classes on everything from medieval through modern swordsmanship, including extensive course offerings on RA MS I.33, Fiore dei Liberi, the Liechtenauer school of German swordsmanship, Italian & Spanish rapier, Jogo do Pau and other cool forms. There are classes on the German Scythe, on the saber, on pedagogy and on transitioning from drill to sparring. There are cutting workshops and the usual after hours fun that sets these events apart from your usual symposia. Presently we have thirty instructors from around the world and more than a hundred preregistrations. Real swords will be present from the Oakshott Collection.

As in previous years, we will be holding a formal dinner (in medieval clothes) on Saturday night, and there will be tournaments on Friday (baton and rapier), and on Sunday morning (a medieval pas d'armes). We will have demonstration opportunities available for instructors and schools, and time to talk to the general public about the different things done in the classical fencing / Western martial arts communities. Come join the fun!

The event is being co-sponsored by the City of Lewisville, so we have the run of an absolutely outstanding facility and support from the local hotels. The city is also sending two video teams and bringing in the local media. This year the Marriott has offered a superb rate ($39 per person, double occupancy!), and there is an even lower rate available with our block at the SUPER 8. Shuttles are available from the hotels to the site for a nominal charge. DFW is the main hub for American airlines, so getting in and out of the area is very easy--the site is just 12 miles from the airport via a usually clear expressway.

Hotel rooms, dinner and class spaces are rapidly filling up. Registration for the event is a steal at $155, but is even cheaper with the "early bird" discount available through Sept. 6th its only $135! Registration for the day is available at the door for $65 per day or $175 for all three days. Visitor passes are available for $6.

Find details at http://www.wmaw.us, and sign up today to reserve your place!

Brian R. Price, Principale

www.scholasaintgeorge.org