[Ansteorra] Period or not-period: the continuum

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 14 11:02:56 PDT 2006

Salut cozyns,

I've seen some excellent forwarded for diplomaticaly informing someone that
their appearance, accoutrements, efforts, and what have you are not period.
One point I have not seen addressed is the simple fact that "period"
re-enactment is usually relative. Yes, some items are blatantly modern: cell
phones, aluminum soda cans, watches, PDAs, talking about computers, current
slang. On the other end of the continuum, very liittle that we do, see,
wear, use, or say is actually "period."

Honestly, then, what we're trying to do is help one another move more toward
the medieval. With that in mind, I think you can always start (as some have
mentioned) by praising the efforts to move toward faithful re-enactment. I
think it's also important, however, to understand the limitations that the
re-enactor needs to overcome. Some of the limitations vary from individual
to indivudual depending on their available time and money.

I can think of dozens of examples, but let's look at just one for the
moment. At my very first event, I saw a young man in a cotehardie-like
jacket and hose. Unfortunately, the hose were black-and-pink tiger stripes.
At first I thought it was a political statement of some sort, but in
conversation with him and several others later, I discovered that he was
just clueless. He thought they would be acceptable as "particolored hose."

So, here's an example of the continuum of "period" with respect to that
young man's hose, starting at the modern and moving back through time to a
specific time and place (1390 England):

MODERN

Shiny pink-and-black tiger striped lycra spandex workout tights.

Non-shiny single color opaque lycra spandex workout tights.

Off-the-rack re-enactor tights (Seamlyne or T'ger Toggs, for example) with
codpiece.

Machine sewn tights of bias-cut wool or linen.

Hand-sewn tights of bias-cut wool or linen.

Hand-sewn tights of bias cut wool or linen that was hand woven and dyed with
materials available in 1390 England.
.
.
.