[Ansteorra] Telling someone that what they are doing isnotperiod

Ronda Melendez rivyn at msn.com
Fri Sep 15 10:11:34 PDT 2006

My own story took place just after I joined the SCA and attented my first
event in the Kingdom of Atlantia called the Sapphire Joust.  I had made my
first garb, a sideless surcoat that had fake miniature pearls and gold lace
around the hems and neckline.  I could not do the fancy gold wirework such
as they did during my persona's time, so I figured the gold lace I used
looked basically as if it would serve as gold wirework.  I had my daughter
with me who was wearing a simple and basic t-tunic and as we were walking
around I noticed a few people just sneering at me.  Then someone had the
gall to actually tell me that my garb was not period, that they did not have
gold lace back then.

At the moment as it was our first event, I must admit that my feelings were
very hurt by the rude way I was treated by people who said that they had
been in the SCA for alot longer than I have, so I returned to my Canton's
camp and was preparing to leave the event when a few of my people took me
aside and basically lectured me on letting rude horses rear ends get to me
like that.  I realized that they were right and felt ashamed that I let it
affect me that way.  So ever since then I kinda of adopted the attitude that
if you do not like what I am wearing, fine, just do not try to drag me down,
let me have my fun, but if you persist, you run the risk of me politely
telling you to 'bite me'.

In Service to the Dream,
Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia
Barony of Bryn-Gwlad
Fledgling of House FalconRose
Ambassador to Atlantia
Member of Academy of St. Gabriel

New Archery Gear:  $100.00

Gas to Gothic Wars and Back:  $120.00

Getting Your Bell Rang by Sir Britta:  Priceless