[Ansteorra] Things we do that are not period

JOHN KELLER wolfgangvonsachsenhausen at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 12:24:56 PDT 2006

Here is a "Period no-no" we are all guilty of committing, simply because of how entrenched it has become in our Mundane culture - saying "OK."

  OK (okay) is actually an American slang that came about in the middle of the 19th Century and quickly came into use throughout the world.  We say it automatically probably dozens of times a day.

  I was first "scolded" on saying OK at Scarborough Faire, where our cast "handlers" cringed every time we uttered it.  So now I find myself trying to say "Right!,"  "alright" or "ja!" in its place.  Pick the word from your culture and period that means "yes" or "alright." Try it-it is NOT an easy habit to break.

  In Service
  Herr Wolfgang von Sachsenhausen

elizabeth at crouchet.com wrote:
  Camping!

For much of the period we study and in many of the cultures being outdoors at night was a scary and dangerous thing.