[Ansteorra] More on "period"

Michael Silverhands silverhands at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 15 13:12:34 PDT 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace wrote:
> Ultimately, I think being authentic in one's re-creation efforts
> has to end
> at a point of diminishing returns. It's rather like cooking from
> scratch. I
> make pancakes, crepe, sauces, vinaigrettes, marinades, and
> soufflees from
> scratch, but what constitutes "scratch" for me might be taking
> shortcuts to
> some. I make my own Hollandaise, for example, because it's quick
> and mine is
> much better than the prepared crap in the stores. On the other
> hand, I've
> never mixed my own mustard. Grey Poupon works quite well in my
> sauces, so
> why put in the extra time to work out the proportions and whip out
> the lumps
> when what I want is right there on the shelf?
>
> Similarly, I have yet to meet the armorer who makes all his own
> sheet metal
> from the pigs.
>
> lo vostre per vos servir
> Meser Lyonel

Reminds me of a joke I heard recently and thought worthy of passing
along:

<disclaimer: this is a joke. It's not a statement about the
correctness of any particular religious point of view. It's a just
joke.>

God is sitting in Heaven when a scientist says to Him, "Lord, we don't
need you anymore. Science has finally figured out a way to create life
out of nothing. In other words, we can now do what you did in
the 'beginning.'"

"Oh, is that so? Tell me..." replies God.

"Well, " says the scientist, "we can take dirt and form it into the
likeness of You and breathe life into it, thus creating man."

"Well, that's interesting. Show Me. "

So the scientist bends down to the earth and starts to mold the soil.

"Oh no, no, no..." interrupts God,

"Get your own dirt."

</disclaimer>

There's a lot to be said about the availability of off-the-shelf
ingredients. :-)

Michael Silverhands