[Ansteorra] Periodicity, enthusiasm and newcomers

Ruh ruhkeddi at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 23:07:50 PDT 2006

Most everyone has mentioned that the key to cutting down on glaring non-period things is to encourage and assist newcomers.  That's all well and good, but don't just talk about it; do it.  In a lot of areas there is a great deal of separation between old timers and newcomers.  Which leaves the newcomers to only learn from each other.

When I was playing in another part of Ansteorra I heard a lady, wearing many awards and impressive headgear, make the statement that she had "done her time being nice to newbies and didn't have to bother with them anymore".  I was shocked.  Newcomers look up to old timers.  Where else are they going to find inspiration?  Yes, it's tiring to deal with the same questions and misconceptions over and over again.  Take a break from being the Welcome Wagon once in awhile, but don't forget that each and every one of us is An Inspiration to some new soul who is standing there in sweatpants and combat boots drooling at all the pretty, shiny armor and bead work.

Maybe we don't have all day to walk around with someone.  Maybe we have squires and apprentices to chase after.  But, take a few minutes, answer a question or point someone to the person who can.

Most of all, look at yourselves.  (I have done all of these, btw, so I'm not picking out anyone other than myself as a bad example.)  Are you wearing sneakers because you just can't be bothered to put on boots, and heck you've been in long enough that you can slum it once in a while?  Are you wearing sweatpants under your tunic because you just didn't feel like making the effort of digging out your proper trousers?  Did you just set that plastic water bottle down beside the uncovered cooler after you poured yourself a drink because gee, lifting the lid to hide the bottle and then flipping the fabric over the cooler was just too much trouble?  Did you plop yourself down in the chair under the sunshade without a "M'lady, may I join you in the lovely cool shade?"

Remember why you joined in the first place and set an example in the hopes of helping yourself and others reach that goal of fun and vision.  Very few of us can afford all the wonderful period things out there, but we can make an effort to use what we can afford.  A $1.00 fabric remnant to cover a cooler is money well spent in this game.  Not discussing in public the code that you are writing for some company doesn't cost a dime.  Neither does standing up for a lady, nodding your head at someone passing or dropping a curtsy for someone.

I really didn't mean for this to go on so long.  What I was really trying to say is: set a good example, the best that you can, and don't snub the newbies.

Lady Edith Grey

"Sometimes you have to claw your way into the light instead of just standing there letting it shine."
Pledges - Amireal